What is a DCO ?
Why Manston Airport ?
- DCO – Development Consent Order – the process by which RiverOak must submit their plans to the National Infrastructure Planners – and then the Secretary of State – to turn Manston Airport into a Nationally Significant project.
- For developments that exceed a particular size, it is necessary to apply for Government permission (Consent), via the DCO route.
- Manston Airport requires a DCO, as if it were to remain as small as it was previously, with no further investment, it would almost certainly fail again.
- The RiverOak investment in new infrastructure for Manston Airport is no longer predicted to be £300m, it will be £479 million ! And RiverOak are particularly targeting it at local firms and Kent and Thanet people,. RiverOak are working to put in place education, training and apprenticeships to enable local people to participate.
- RiverOak have purchased Manston Airport from Stone Hill Park, for Aviation, and now own it.
- The Thanet Local Plan hearings have confirmed that Manston is only to be used for Aviation purposes,
- Re Night Flights : RiverOak Manston Airport Night Flight Proposals :
No arrivals or departures of aircraft between the hours of 11pm and 6am whether they are scheduled, chartered or otherwise. Exceptions : Arrivals that have been unavoidably delayed, and emergency or relief flights.
The Manston Airport DCO has been GRANTED
This means more Investment in Thanet than it has ever seen before and thousands of high-quality well paid jobs …
Today, 9th July 2020 he Secretary of State announced his Decision. to grant the Development Consent Order to allow RSP to re-open Manston Airport for Aviation.
RiverOak have owned Manston Airport since about the end of the DCO Examination, only for aviation purposes. They exchanged contracts with Ann Gloag and Stone hill Park, and are now intending to re-open Manston Airport for cargo and passenger flights.
A library of useful DCO documents
The all important DCO document itself :
This document explains the route to minimising airport noise :
More details to follow.
Other text :
Here is my part of a long discussion about Manston Airport, and its Development Consent Order,on Facebook :
A DCO has 6 stages
Diagram by PINS – please click on it to enlarge.
You may also find this short 6-minute video, produced by PINS, to be useful in helping understand the whole process.